warren
what's the difference among the 3 sentences.? Jim and I are of age. Jim and I are of the age. Jim and I are of an age. the difference? which is right.Thank you for your explaining . Thank you .
18 de Fev de 2010 às 03:24
3
0
"of age" means that they have reached an age in years that gives them certain rights or privileges. For instance, at 21 years, everyone is allowed to drink alcohol. "of the age" would probably mean "of the age of consent", which means they are legally free of their parents. "of an age" means that the person or persons referred to lived during a time or era and exemplified the values of the time. It was said of Shakespeare that "he was just to of an age, but for all time". It meant that he was not just relavent to the time that he lived, but for all of time, since he is still read today.
18 de Fevereiro de 2010
Jim and I are of age. This means that you are old enough to satisfy some legal criterion (old enough to drive, to sign contracts, to drink alcohol, etc.) Jim and I are of "the age". I would expect this to be punctuated as shown, and would be an informal and somewhat sardonic expression. This means that you are at an age when characteristics of older people appear, such as frailty, which you and Jim are bearing wearily. Jim and I are of an age. This is much less common, and could refer to you and Jim belonging to a particular era. It could also be part of a longer statement, "Jim and I are of an age where we should know better," meaning you're old enough to know better.
18 de Fevereiro de 2010
Jim and I are of age. This means that Jim and I are old enough for something. As in: The legal age to drink alcohol is 21. Jim and I are of age. Jim and I are of the age. This is sort of saying Jim and I are of a specific age. Jim and I are of an age. This is sort of saying Jim and I are any age. The first sentence is correct
18 de Fevereiro de 2010
warren
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese