Olga_L
Some grammar questions Can anyone help me chose the correct grammar forms for the following sentences? 1. In the past 60 years, the language (have) some success. 2. Recently some linguists (ask) whether we should revisit Ogden's ideas. Thanks in advance :)
5
2
I have to disagree with Alex here, too. "Revisit" is the right word. It means, to stay as literal as possible, "We should go back to those ideas (for the purpose of re-examining them)." After they revisted them, they could decide to revise them.
I have to disagree with Alex here. I think the meaning is that Ogdens ideas should be examined and thought over again - not changed or revised. Also, simply ASKED instead of HAVE ASKED would also fit, but my first choice would be HAVE ASKED, as becca states.
In the past 60 years, the language HAS HAD some success. Recently, some linguists HAVE ASKED whether we should (or should not) revisit Ogden's ideas.
Yep,of course. Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I deliberately provoke native experts.(The asker even didn't ask about whether brushing up or revise the ideas.;) That's my 'special' way to try thoroughly comprehend the 'nitty-gritty' of English.=)Thanks.
Yes.I quite agree with becca, but your second sentence would be much better , if there were the word 'revise', not 'revisit'.
Olga_L