Bean/劍云
Hallelujah I've been listening to this song for a couple of times... and also googled it.. it says this song is a great joy to express the gratefulness to the God... But the point is that looking from the song's lyrics... it only makes me feel pretty sad but not anything about happiness.. I mean I just cant seem to see the upside of this song, Can anyone tell me how should I rephrase this song? Thank you so much.. All of your opinions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!^^
6
1
I believe you are referring to "Hallelujah" written and sung by Leanard Cohen. Cohen's works are always open to interpretation and I believe that's exactly what he wants. The song has been sung many times by different artists and even Cohen has changed many of the verses over the years. What he seems to be conveying is that there are many forms of "hallelujah", some rejoicing, some sad, some bitter. (People can feel free to argue with me about this). You obviously noticed the ironic, meloncholic and dispassionate tone of the song. The song was last heard in the movie "Watchmen" - a very somber (but good) film. The song was put in a part of the movie where rejoicing was obviously not called for.
Often when a song has a religious reference, it is often appropriated by religious groups despite what the writer meant to say. (This has also happened to Knocking on Heaven's Door, and Like a Prayer) I really couldn't agree that Cohen wrote it in praise, considering much of his other work. My favourite line from the song is: 'There's a blaze of light in every word / it doesn't matter which you heard / the holy or the broken hallelujah" Words have power and significance. :) Props for tackling the work of Leonard Cohen!
My apologies, Alex. I missed that one. I tracked it down on YouTube - and you were right, it turns out I missed an incredible performance by K.D. Lang. As for rephrasing, I think Bean wants to know what the words signify. With Cohen, rephrasing his songs is hard to do, because they are heavy with symbolism and emotion, so this might be a bit difficult. For example, the song talks about being tied to the kitchen chair and cutting hair - a reference to Sampson and Delilah in the Bible. Hard to rephrase.
I do mean the "Hallelujah" song,sung near the end of ceremony, written by Leonard Cohen and performed by K.D Lang. Maybe I am wrong,just curious.
The song that was performed at the opening ceremony at Vancouver was "I Believe", by Nikki Yanofsky. It was definitely upbeat and definitely not the song that Bean refers to.
Bean/劍云
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Other), English, German, Norwegian, Swedish
English, German, Norwegian, Swedish