alucky
butter or batter on cooking program !? I was listening to cooking show but I couldn't understand which butter or batter is. The narrator told that " ~~ pour the butter ?? into bowl but in fact , It was batter ^_^ ; because the narrator told "mixed together " just before that. but , it's hard for me to understand . but .... I think , if it is movie , I can understand from movie but it's hard for me to understand the difference in audio-format. Can people living in English speaking countries distinguish ?
3
2
Butter is a dairy product. Batter is a mixture of ingredients such as flour, milk, eggs etc. often used to coat food such as ebi and kakiage tempura :) EDIT: Oops! Didn't see the entire question Perhaps it's in British accent which made the batter sound like butter ;)
if the narrator referred to that "mixed together" thing or something, he really meant "batter" thanks to Peachey for marking the difference in pronunciation. :)
Yes, there is a difference in pronunciation: a short 'uh' sound for butter, and a short 'ah' sound for batter. Have you tried the Betty Botter tongue twister? http://www.mamalisa.com/?t=hes&p=1376&l=B
alucky