Elizabeth
"ever since" (how?) 1. My dog was not feeling well ever since he ate the leftovers. 2. My dog had not been feeling well ever since he ate the leftovers. 3. My dog had not felt well ever since he ate the leftovers. 4. My dog felt unwell ever since he ate the leftovers. Which sentence is correct with the use of "ever since"
Mar 1, 2010 1:57 AM
3
0
all of those sentances are correct.
If you really want to include the phrase 'ever since', I suggest that it might be more elegant to put it at the beginning or end of the sentence, not to try and get it to work in the middle: "Ever since he ate the leftovers, my dog has not been feeling well " "My dog ate the leftovers and has not been feeling well ever since."
If you are suggesting that your dog is ill now, after eating the leftovers, you need to use the perfect tense: 'My dog hasn't been feeling well (ever) since he ate the leftovers.', or, 'My dog's been feeling ill (ever) since eating the leftovers.', or, 'My dog's felt ill (ever) since eating the leftovers.' Since is used to talk about things that started at a time in the past up to now. A perfect form needs to be used. The opposite of well (physical condition) is, ill. I would use 'since' without 'ever' unless I'm emphasising the period of time.
Elizabeth
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Spanish