Community Web Version Now Available
Is it a palindrome? What do you call a word, if it becomes another word when you read it backwards. For example: rat The reason I am asking this question is because a friend of mine sent me this impressive youtube video a few days ago, calling it a palindrome. My questions is, would you call it a palindrome, if not, what would you appropriately call this style of writing? Many thanks :) just found another silly example: but can someone think of a longer one? :) yet another one: tide
1 มี.ค. 2010 เวลา 6:25
Answers · 4
"A man, a plan, a canal - Panama" - letters occur in the same order read forward and back Others: "Sex at noon taxes" "Satan oscillate my metallic sonata" (with thanks from the rock group Soundgarden) By the way: If a word forms a different meaningful word spelled backwards, this is NOT a palindrom - it is called a "Semordnilap", which, if you notice is "palindromes" spelled backward (no joke - look it up).
1 มีนาคม 2010
Hi... A palindrome is a word or sentence that is the same spelled forward or backward. For example, take a look at the following sentence: "Madam, I'm Adam". If you omit the punctuation, you can see that the letters spell the same thing forward and backward. There are lots of words that are palindromes including: dad, deified, kayak, mom, repaper, reviver, rotator, and radar.
1 มีนาคม 2010
I haven't heard of a word describing this. There should be one now! :D However, there are occasional examples where whole sentences are spoken backwards to make a new meaning (viz. the movie Amadeus). But it's not a palindrome because palindromes are symmetrical. Want to make up a name?
1 มีนาคม 2010
A word that reads the same way forwards and backwards (such as "racecar") is called a palindrome. There's no word for non-palidrome words.
1 มีนาคม 2010
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English
Learning Language