wadiitah
can you correct any mistakes I've made on this text please? ,. :) Lieber Christian, entschuldigung aber ich kann nicht mitkommen am Samstagnachmittag. In meine Firma gibt es ein Problem und ich muss am Samstag bis zum Abend arbeiten. Könnnen wir treffen am Sonntagabend für zusammen essen in "Habibi" restaurant? Ich warte auf deine Antwort Viele gruße. Guadalupe. please tell me if I made any mistakes. I have a test on Wednesday and I will have to write a letter pretty much like this one.
Mar 3, 2010 7:57 PM
5
1
Entschuldigung, aber ich kann am Samstagnachmittag nicht mitkommen. In meiner Firma gibt es ein Problem und ich muss am Samstag bis zum Abend arbeiten. Können wir uns am Sonntagabend zum Essen im "Habibi" Restaurant treffen? Ich warte auf deine Antwort. Viele Grüße. Guadalupe. In meiner(!) Firma... (in der Firma) (Ich würde "Auf der Arbeit" schreiben.) Könn(!)en wir uns am Sonntagabend treffen und zusammen im "Habibi" Restaurant essen (/ins "Habibi" Restaurant (zum) Essen gehen)? (Vielleicht) Können wir uns am Sonntagabend treffen und ins "Habibi" Restaurant zum Essen gehen?
Ich würde schreiben: "...im Restaurant Habibi..." in der Annahme das Habibi der Name des Restaurants ist. Wenn Habibi eine besondere Art von Restaurant ist, es abere keine Verwechslung geben kann, welches genau gemeint ist hieße es: ...im Habibi-Restaurant...
To Rüdiger: Hi there, thank you very much for all the information and the rectifications. I was so careless to have missed the point that "Entschuldigung" is a noun (substantive), which is required to be capitalized in German language. Hence, in order to follow the general rule that I previously mentioned, the phrase should be rewritten to the one as you stated, or perhaps as: "Liebe(r) ..., es tut mir (sehr) leid, aber..." In terms of whether a comma is needed for the conjunctions, I would say that if this is for separating various nouns, then it is not needed. For instant, Ich habe drei Kinder: Peter, Paul und Anna. However, if the conjunction is used for separating between two main clauses (such as in the given sample letter), it would be better to have it so as to make the whole sentence clear. Nevertheless, same as you mentioned, I was not fully sure about such rule. In conclusion, I suggest that the original poser kindly consult her language teacher in order to clarify this matter.
Hi Mitong hk-tw "Entschuldigung", as every word ending with "-ung" is a noun, in German nouns have to be written always with a starting capital letter, regardless of their position in a sentence. But it may be better style to write "Lieber Christian, bitte entschuldige, aber ich kann nicht mitkommen." But it is more a question of style then a rule. Your second remark is correct. It is a sign of politeness to use "Du, Dich Dein, Sie, Ihr, Euer" etc. with captial letters when using it in a direct speech to the addressee(s). So if you write letter to a person you use "Du" or "Sie" depending of how good you know the person. If you speak of the whole Family or possibly house/room mates (generally a group of persons where your addressee is part of) you use "Ihr". If you speak in the same letter of an other group of persons, to which the addressee does not belong to, you use the lower case "sie" etc. When I remember my school times, I was always corrected to write *not* a comma before "und", this is a major difference to the English language, but to be honest I am not sure on this rule (as I am not good in setting the comma to the right place in general)
Hi there. Comparing with a typical Romance language (your native language), German has a very strict rule regarding the position of verbs. Typically, except for imperatives and interrogations, the main conjugated verb (or auxiliary verb) has to be placed at the SECOND position inside a main clause(sentence), while it has to be placed at the LAST position in a sub-ordinate clause. On the other hand, any infinitive or past particle has to be placed at the LAST position in a main clause, and at the SECOND LAST position in a sub-ordinate clause. To this extent, you can see that the infinitives "mitkommen", "treffen" and "essen" did not follow the above rules. This means that you need to pay more attention in the aspect before your upcoming language test in German. For the conjunction such as "und", "oder", "aber" and "sondern", etc., it is generally preceded by a comma, in order to separate between the two main clauses. Thus, "In meine Firma gibt es ein Problem, und ich muss am Samstag ..." Although the first respondent has provided the corrections in very good details, he has probably missed the points regarding the letter writing in German (based on my limited knowledge in this language) that, 1) One must start with a word in non-capital letter, because it follows the comma after you have addressed your addressee. Therefore, it is correct to write "Lieber Christian, entschuldigung, aber ..." (unless there were recent rule changes in German, of which I am not aware). 2) One usually uses the capitalized letter for the 2nd personal pronouns (in singular "du" or plural "ihr" form) in order to show respect to your addressee. Thus, you should write "Du", "Dich", "Dir", and "Dein/Dein/Deine..., etc." (for possessive in nominative), and "Ihr", "Euch", "Euch", and "Euer/Euer/Eure..., etc.", regardless the position of such pronouns. (Ich warte auf Deine Antwort) [It is however not a strict rule, just in general.] Good luck / Viel Gruß / Buena suerte.
wadiitah
English, Finnish, German, Italian, Spanish
Finnish, German, Italian