Hailey
A few sentences and a couple of questions I don't see anything ungrammatical in these sentences, could you see if there's something incorrect? _______________________________________________________ If you think on the matter deeply, you will find nothing impossible to understand in itself. The reason that some people build their own wall and are living being confined to their biases would be a self-protection machanism, I suppose. ______________________________________________ 1) I learnt 'to think of' and 'to think about' is almost same, how about 'to think on'? I can't explain why, but I picked 'to think on' up there because I felt like I should do so. I wish I could get an advanced understanding of those three. 2) As I'm looking into it, the only iffy thing is 'are living being confined to...'. Can I write 'are living with being confined' instead? Thanks!Sorry, the last clause of the first sentence was supposed to be 'you will find nothing or nobody impossible to understand in itself or oneself'. Jeez, this looks incorrect.@fdmaxey : Thank you. :) I thought 'think on' indicates that the subject is closer to the object than 'think about'. e.g. 'A thesis on the reason that dinosaurs disappeared' and 'A thesis about...' @Norman : Keen observation - Thank you :)
Mar 5, 2010 12:48 PM
2
0
Incorrect spelling "machanism" Correct spelling "mechanism"
"think on" is pretty much the same as "think about". To "think of" something is closer to "remember". Another way to state this would be: If you think and consider the matter deeply, you will find nothing impossible to understand in itself. The reason that some people build their own wall and are living a life that involves being confined to their biases would be a self-protection machanism, I suppose. "living with being confined" would mean more "enduring [or putting up with] being confined". That is not the sense of this sentence.
Hailey
English, Japanese, Korean