Eric Huang
Do foreigners who have travelled to China change their previous views about it? Does your visit(s) to China in person modify your views about China?
Mar 5, 2010 2:06 PM
3
0
I was surprised at how similar it was to the west. Even now that I've lived here for two years, I see the differences as only a matter of time or being more extreme. For instance, the "importance" of family, marriage, and "face" in Chinese culture is quite similar to what Western Culture was like a few hundred years ago. Both came from Monarchy systems, except the greater West began moving away from them with Capitalism, the Enlightenment and the rise of Democracy and Socialism. But then, I was expecting it to be different, I found out that what drives everyone is the same as in the west: Money and status. Except in China stumbling on creativity and someone who believe in a limitless world is really lucky. One thing that did surprise me is how superstitious the people are.
Yes mine changed after a study tour, but we were only shown the most prestigious high schools and tourist spots.
I have never been outside of Ireland, but my cousin went to Hong Kong last month and he said that his oppinion greatly changed. He loved it down there so much that he is planning another trip this summer.
Eric Huang
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), Chinese (Other), English, Japanese