Community Web Version Now Available
Chinese equivalent of financial "bubble" When something increases in value at a fast rate it will usually be valued over its actual worth. At some point, the value or cost will fall very rapidly. In English, we call this a "bubble", because you blow a bubble slowly, but it can be burst very quickly. We refer to the "dot com" bubble, where internet stocks fell in price very rapidly; and of course there is the recent housing bubble in the U.S. What is the equivalent word in Chinese?
Mar 7, 2010 11:19 PM
Answers · 1
泡沫 pào mò。I guess the new meaning and use of this world derives from English 'bubble'. Since Asian financial crisis, '泡沫' was beginning to relate to financial phenomena in china. (just my opinion) For instance: 房地产泡沫 = housing bubble, they are all combined with two nouns. The same goes 经济泡沫,股市泡沫.
March 8, 2010
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
Learning Language
Chinese (Mandarin)