safaa
what is the alternative of { ask my arse } it means{ a common reply to any question; still deemed wit at sea, and formerly at court, under the denomination of selling bargains. sorry i didn't know the meaning of arse .
Mar 9, 2010 8:21 PM
2
1
Hi Safaa, this is an offensive phrase that you should never use in any formal setting. It is the same as, ask my bum. Basically it means, get lost, I'm not interested in what you have to say. It is an Irish turn of phrase conveying complete and utter contempt towards someone. It is usually used as a dismissive term. Man 1: When will my car be ready? Man 2: Soon Man 1: When will it be ready? Man 2: Soon Man 1: WHEN?? Man 2: Why don't you ask my arse?
Jura's answer is good. I would like to add that "arse" is used much more in Irish, British (and Australian) English. Everybody in the U.S. would know what it means, but the word used is "ass". The phrase "ask my ass" does not exist in American usage. And yes, "ass" just as offensive in the U.S. as "arse" is in Britain or Australia. One more thing - the phrase "still deemed wit at sea" refers to the fact that sailors everywhere are known for their crude language. To "curse like a sailor" means that you are using vulgar language indeed.
safaa
Arabic, English