唐朝来客
Would you please tell me the meaning of this Japanese phrase? あい手に花をもたせる(ひきたてる)。 はなやかで、うつくしくりっぱなもの。
Mar 11, 2010 6:13 AM
3
1
「花(はな)をもたせる」is an idiom. 花(flower)here figuratively means the honor(of success), credit as the one who did a good job, fame. もたせる means to let someone have. So, it becomes to give the honor/credit/fame to someone (in order to make a good reputation for him/her even when it's not really like that). I think the example"部下(ぶか)に花をもたせる" alucky-san gave above is the most common situation to use the idiom. In a company, when a boss and his assistant made some good achievement together, the boss often takes the credit. But if he says "Oh, no. It's my assistant who made it possible. I was just there. " The boss is「部下に花をもたせ」ています. What a good boss! lol はなやかで、うつくしくりっぱなもの =something that is はなやかですand うつくしいですandりっぱです.
あい手に () 相手 = partner 花をもたせる(ひきたてる) = 花を持たせる(はなをもたせる) 勝利や功名を相手に譲る。相手を立てる。 例:「部下に花を持たせる」 =to make the partner to have the flower (direct interpretation) =to give something over to your partner ( common meaning ) It's a Japanese Idiom , I think it's too early for elementary student to study such a phrase. はなやかで、うつくしくりっぱなもの。 = sophisticated , beautiful and splendid thing
"I hand down a flower to my love.What a colourful and extremely fair the flower is".
唐朝来客
Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese
Japanese