Mary_Qin
which is to identify the “Strong Verbs”? As far as I know, which might be correct, a verb whose English conjugation is irregular, and its German conjugation won’t be regular. For example, the past tense of “sleep” is slept, and comparatively, the past tense of “schlafen” is “schlief”. Both of them are irregular. But if I don’t know the meaning of a new verb, is it possible to recognize it as a Strong Verbs with the phonics or morphology?? Thanks,
11 мар. 2010 г., 9:09
2
0
Well honestly, I would say "No". It is like English, where one is not able to identify which verbs are irregular by judging solely the phonetic aspect. To this extent, a good German dictionary would quote down three forms after a strong verb: 1) the present tense (Präsens) form of the third personal singular, i.e., conjugated form of "er / es / sie"; 2) the simple past tense (Präteritum) form of the first and third personal singular, i.e., conjugated form of "ich" and "er / es / sie"; and, 3) the past participle (Partizip Perfekt). By referring to those three quoted forms, Readers will then be able to well apply such conjugated forms. I believe that such matters also happen in English, where we usually memorize those three forms for an irregular verb. For instance, to eat -- eats / ate / eaten; to drink -- drinks / drank / drunk; to sleep -- sleeps / slept / slept (as in your example). Good day / Schönen Tag.
11 марта 2010 г.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starke_Verben Ich hab's nicht verstanden! To identify one it seems you have to know the irregular form, too. So you have to learn them all, one by one. Um sie zu finden, muss man wahrscheinlich die auch die unregelmäßige Form kennen. Also musst du sie alle einzeln lernen.
11 марта 2010 г.
Mary_Qin
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
German