Yuanyuan
Who could tell me about the usage of these three words: gonna, gotta and wanna? Thanks. Sometimes, i mix them.
Mar 15, 2010 10:48 AM
2
3
Hi Yuanyuan, The use of gonna, gotta and wanna are words used by someone who speaks English very poorly. This is the proper way to say these words: 1. going to 2. got to 3. want to
"gonna" = "going to" + [verb] : indicates some action in the future. "I am going to [gonna] drive to Beijing tomorrow." "gotta" = "have got to" : must or "have to". I have to [gotta] leave now. "wanna" = "want to" What Norman says is partially true - these words are used in spoken English, not written. However, in spoken English, I hear them used a great deal - even by people who normally speak English well. You would not hear them used in any formal setting, such as a public speech or meeting. In normal conversation, though, they are used quite a bit. I would eliminate them from your written English.
Yuanyuan