Yoyo
conditionals what kind of conditionals are in Japanese language?
Mar 16, 2010 2:30 PM
4
2
[PART II] For the i-adjectives, we can first convert them into the corresponding adverbs, which is formed from dropping the final "i"(い) and then adding "ku"(く). Hence, おいしい(to be delicious) becomes おいしく(adverb). The conditional form can then be formed by shifting the termination onto the corresponding "e"(え)-row, i.e., fromくto け, and then adding the character "re-ba"(れば). [The process is like combining the formation way for type 1 and 2 verbs as seen above.] Thus, おいしく--- おいしければ For the na-adjectives, we can first convert them into the corresponding adjectives, which is formed by adding "na"(な) at the end. Hence, しずか becomes しずかな (adjective, to be quite). The conditional form can then be formed by adding an additional "ra"(ら). Thus, しずかな --- しずかなら For a typical Japanese noun, rules follow the same as for na-adjectives, because without the final "na", a na-adjective has basically the same grammatical function as for a Japanese noun. Hence, ねこ(a cat) --- ねこなら On the other hand, the conditional form can also be formed by first transforming anything into the affirmative (or negative) past dictionary form, i.e., something with an ending of "た", then add a "ra"(ら) at the end. (This approach is indeed easier for the beginners.) Hence, for all the above examples, they become Verbs Type 1: いく--- いった;いかなかった --- いったら;いかなかったら Type 2: たべる --- たべた;たべなかった --- たべたら;たべなかったら Type 3: する --- した;しなかった --- したら;しなかったら Type 3: くる --- きた;こなかった --- きたら;こなかったら i-adjectives おいしい --- おいしかった;おいしくなかった --- おいしかったら;おいしくなかったら na-adjectives (by adding dictionary form of です = だ to form present plain form) しずかだ --- しずかだった;しずかなかった --- しずかだったら;しずかなかったら nouns (by adding dictionary form of です=だ to form present plain form) ねこだ --- ねこだった;ねこなかった --- ねこだったら;ねこなかったら
[PART I] It is so wonderful that the other respondent, chihiro_ito, has explained the matter in details. I just try to put up a few supplemental info. I personally think that, it may be better that the derivation of the conditional form (条件形 / 仮定形) is started from the dictionary form (辞書形) of Japanese verbs, so that the situation may become more clearly. By taking the same given examples, if we look up the table of 50-sounds (五十音図), then we see that the conditional form can easily be formed by shifting the termination of the dictionary form onto the corresponding "e"(え)-row, and then adding the character "ba"(ば). So, for the above cases, ~く--- ~けば ; and ~る --- ~れば . Hence, Type 1 e.g. (i.e., 五段動詞) いきます(from いく , to go) --- いけば Type 2 e.g. (i.e., 上一 / 下一段動詞) たべます(from たべる, to eat) --- たべれば Type 3 e.g. (i.e., the two irregular jp-verbs: する and くる) できます(from できる, be able to do) --- できれば します (from する , to do)  --- すれば きます (from くる , to come) --- くれば For negations, we take the nai-form(ない), drop the final "i"(い), add a "ku"(く), and then add the characters "re-ba"(れば). Hence, Type 1: いく--- いかない --- いかなければ Type 2: たべる --- たべない --- たべなければ Type 3: する --- しない --- しなければ Type 3: くる --- こない --- こなければ
The conditional form(aka 条件形、仮定形) of verbs, adjectives, and copula([noun]-desu) are as below: Verb : いきます(go) -いけば たべます(eat)-たべれば できる(be able to do)- できれば きます(come)-くれば i-adjective おいしいです(is tasty)-おいしければ na-adjective しずかです(is quiet)-しずかなら noun ねこです(is a cat)- ねこなら  In addition to this conditional forms, there are some other expressions which also make conditional sentences with slightly differences each other. Also, the equivalent to English "if" is もし. But in Japanese, a sentence can be conditional without もし when the verb(or adj or -desu). I can't explain everything here, so just let me give you some examples. (もし)にほんへ いったら、なにを したいですか? When you visit Japan, what do you want to do? (もし)にほんへ いくなら、まんがを かってきて ください。 If you are to go to Japan, please buy me some manga books for me. (もし)にほんへ いくことが できたら/できれば、まんがを かいたいです。 If I can go to Japan, I want to buy some manga books.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, mitong! I was just lazy to write down all of them, you know:]] Let me correct one little thing. Past tense(-た) for na-adj is しずかじゃ(or では)なかった and for noun is ねこじゃ(orでは)なかった. Somehow you dropped じゃ(では)for both, though it's not a big matter here:)
Yoyo
Danish, English, German, Japanese, Lithuanian
Danish, Japanese