Davrous
How do you do dates in Chinese? I know if I wanted to say January 1st, 2009 I would say 二零零九年一月一日. However, if I wanted to say Monday, January 1st, 2009, would I say 二零零九年一月一日星期一 or 二零零九年一月星期一一日?
Mar 19, 2010 6:00 AM
5
2
Hi there. This is quite an interesting question, which shows a difference of representation between various languages. Although Americans and possibly Canadians like to flip the sequence between Month and Day when presenting the date, in European languages (and even in Russian), the date is always presented in the format of [day of week] ~ day ~ month ~ year. For instance, 2010.03.01: English: Monday, (the) 1st(first) March, 2010 (two thousand ten) français: lundi, le 1er(premier) mars 2010 (deux mille dix) español: lunes, el 1o(primero) marzo 2010 (dos mil diez) Deutsch: Montag, der 1.(erste) März 2010 (zwei tausend zehn) italiano: lunedì, il 1o(primo) marzo 2010 (due mille dieci) português: segunda-feira, o 1o(primeiro) março 2010 (dois mil dez) ру́сский: понеде́льник, 1 (пе́рвое (число́)) ма́рта 2010 (две ты́сячи деся́того года́) In East Asian languages, such as Korean, Japanese, and Chinese, the presentation of date is however given in the format of: year ~ month ~ day ~ [day of week], which is exactly the opposite to the style in European languages. For instance, 2010.03.01: 한국어:2010년3월1일(이공일공년 삼월 일일) 월요일 日本語:2010年3月1日(にぜろいちぜろねん さんがつ ついたち) 月曜日(げつようび) 中文 :二零一零年三月一日(ㄦˋㄌㄧㄥˊㄧ ㄌㄧㄥˊㄋㄧㄢˊˉㄙㄢ ㄩㄝˋˉㄧ ㄖˋ) 星期一(ㄒㄧㄥ ㄑㄧˊㄧ) In a traditional manner, Japanese and Taiwanese may present the current year in terms of the year of emperor (in Japan) and the year of nation establishment (in Taiwan), respectively. For instance, 2010年 = 平成二十二年 (日本) = 民國九十九年 (台灣)
9 morning monday, 1st january, 2009, 21th century, if you want translate this phrase into Chinese, just write down in reverse. So it should be '21世纪,2009年,1月1日,星期一,早上,9点'. I know Amercian people prefer 'january 1st' to '1st january', so you have to reverse it in advance. The rule is from 'far(big)' to 'close(small)', the same goes to the way of expressing adress in Chinese.
“二零零九年一月一日星期一”is right. actually it's "2009年1月1日,星期一"
year, month,day,weekday. Just totally opposite to the Britishi English way.
You should say that 二零零九年一月一日星期一.
Davrous
Chinese (Mandarin)