Bettina
In wich cases can I use these words: Dude, Buddie, Fellow,... I heard very often these "little names" but is it some advices you can give me to indicate when we have to use one more than an other? Thanks in adv :)
2
0
"Dude" is used in North America. It is informal and should only be used as such. To me personally this words has a negative connotation. "Buddie" should be written as "buddy" and is equally informal American English. It refers to a close friend or to a working companion whom you work closely with. "Fellow" is rather British English and can be used both formally and informally, depending on what you mean by it. - Herman - www.language-database.com
dude still needs to be thrown some light upon. it can be used in different, but similar ways, depending upon the americans (or any english speaker who's using it). like, "dude, when r u going home?" or "dude, where's my car?" :P here dude is more of a stress. it does not mean friend, but nor does it have a negative sense. it's just a way to address a person, usually male. similarly, "oh go and ask that dude over there" or "hey dude, watch out". here dude may/moy not have a -ve connonation. depends on the situation. it's more "teen/youth" who find "cooler" subtitutes for "boring" words like a man or a fellow :P chap is also a british word for fellow "hey, old chap!"
Bettina
English, French, Spanish
Spanish