Hailey
Looking for a proper phrasal verb I wonder if there's any phrasal verb that means 'speak with a certain accent'. The context: -Your friend was born in X and have lived in X so far. So it's tricky for him/her to speak with the accent people living in Y speak with. -Your were born in X and had lived in X till you turned 7. You've lived in Y much longer in X so it's easier for you to speak with both accents. > It's harder for him/her to __________ a Y accent. > It's easier for you to ___________ a Y accent. ThanksWhen I translate what I say in Korean, it comes out as "stick an accent to my mouth", does this make sense?Oh, I got 'nail down'.
May 19, 2010 8:37 AM
Hello Hailey, You could use verbs or expressions not necessarily a phrasal verb such as: - grasp - get the hang of ( informal one) - the phrasal verb 'pick up' as Gary mentioned.
Hi, You could use 'pronouce' or 'pick up' or even simply 'learn'.
Hailey
English, Japanese, Korean