Felix Chen
Why I feel scared and nervous to listen to English? I can't understand all words..How can I do?
Mar 4, 2008 3:56 PM
2
0
I have many students that have this problem. Most of the time this nervousness is from fear of making mistakes. Don't be afraid to make mistakes and keep practicing. When you are corrected, it is another great opportunity to improve. When you don't understand something make sure to ask and not just let it pass. This includes spoken language as well as reading. Do not pass over vocabulary words that you don't understand and guess its meaning from the rest of the sentence. Look it up in a dictionary.
It's natural to be nervous in a situation where someone is trying to communicate you but you can't fully understand. You have to become comfortable with speaking and listening to a language before you can get over it. That includes increasing your vocabulary so that you can speak and understand about more topics, and also simply continuing to expose yourself to the language so that you grow more comfortable with it. Most of all, don't let those feelings scare you off. ^^ Keep studying and keep practicing regularly and you will grow comfortable in time.
Felix Chen
Chinese (Taiwanese), English