chen
How would you fix that sentence...? While I was typing this sentence to a friend of mine, I stopped. I realized that there seemed to be some tense problem in it. Here is the sentence: "Recently I have been locking myself away from outside influence as I began to feel that this island was/is/had/???? becoming increasingly hostile toward English learners." How do I fix it to make it better? Thanks
There are a lot of possibilities besides the one offered by Anneh which is also correct. Everything in the present--- the feeling began at the same time as "locking yourself away. Recently I have been locking myself away from outside influence as I have begun to feel that this island is becoming increasingly hostile toward English learners. Recently I have been locking myself away from outside influence as I FEEL that this island has become increasingly hostile toward English learners. The past.. Had Begun......The feeling had begun before you started locking yourself away and continued after beginning, because we assume you continue to feel that way.... Recently I have been locking myself away from outside influence as I had begun to feel that this island was becoming increasingly hostile toward English learners. began......the beginning can be interpreted as a completed action in the past, but you still continue to feel afterwards. Recently I have been locking myself away from outside influence as (since) I began to feel that this island was becoming increasingly hostile toward English learners.
had doesn't make any sense in the sentence unless you say had become, has become, had/has been becoming but actually no need to make the sentence so complicated. First in English, the type 'begin to do + clause' is not used very often, it's not like Chinese '我开始逐渐明白……(with a clause after the verb added). So you can just say 'I feel/felt/have felt that', besides there is an 'increasingly' in the latter sentence which means 'begin to', too. Obviously we'll normally choose to say 'as I began to feel that this island was' or '... island became...' to keep the tense the same AMAP. However you actually could say 'is' in your sentence if you are not taking an English exam. Small difference between 'is' and 'was', readers will understand you all the same.
i think it should be like this" island became increasingly hostile......."
I have to say that I learn a lot when Denis answers some posts here. Really good explanations. :)
Recently I have been locking myself away from outside influence as I begin to feel that this island is becoming increasingly hostile toward English learners."