Vivien
Did you ever go through a "Japanese phase" growing up? where you were really into the culture, tried to learn Japanese, etc.
Mar 5, 2008 7:38 AM
7
0
yeah seems so to me, i think i am goin through a japanese-phase right now! as if you feel one with the country and the customs and people. although its not much of a difference from indian culture as in the fact that respecting elders and all sorts of manners exist in india culture! but there are many differences too! but to be short here, yea i am goin through a phase and im lovin it!! i feel learning another language is like living another life lol! u get to go through a whole set of things with some quality bunch of people!! XD
Well, being a Japanese born in Japan, I didn't have to go through a "Japanese phase", but I think I had a "foreign culture phase" in my young adult days if studying different languages and travelling to different countries count as a phase. I had a "Mexican phase" a while ago originally because I wanted 3rd language under my belt but later got totally into its culture and language for about 4 years or so. I have been going through a "Chinese phase" for past several years because of the martial arts I study.
umm.. well if you call living in Japan and planing to continue doing so until death a phase then you can count me in. im currently back in australia for a few more months before i get back 'home' to Japan, haha. although i'm certainly not like the people harregarre links to in that site. Im not really into japanese pop culture at all, i'm into the history, confucian culture etc. i hate anime and manga so i'm not one of those オタク people.
The answer: NO BUT: What a great question!
Not really, I think maybe I went through a European phase though. ^^ I would still like to visit it though. I originally started taking courses for it because it may prove beneficial to my major at some point and I wanted to learn another language, but I have really enjoyed learning it and learning about the culture. I think a lot of people growing up in western culture find eastern cultures very intriguing and mystifying though.
Vivien
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Russian
English, Korean, Russian