jdavp
How do I say "The bones in my face were broken." And how do I simply say "broken bone".
6 mar 2008 02:55
2
0
There are many bones in the face. The Jaw(bone) it the bone where your bottom teeth are. This is the part that moves. The cheek (bone(S)) The rest of the face and head bones are usually known as the skull, as most people don't know the names of all the bones of the face or head. For fluency, you will hear most people use the word 'broken' or 'broke'. A fracture is indeed an almost broken bone, but not quite. But most people will say that their bone(s) is/are (or) was/were broken , unless they know it's a fracture. Subjects + bone is/was broken. Subjects + bones are/were broken. To give some context, If somebody falls and their arm is in great pain, they are more likely to say "I think my arm is broken". A witness might say, "Your arm might/may be broken, you had better / must go to hospital". Hope it helps, Lee.
16 marzo 2008
It's common to use "fracture" to describe a broken bone. But you can also have different fractures, such as a kidney fracture etcetera. Docters etc. for example rarely say that you have a broken bone. They just that it's fractured. There are lots of way to describe broken bones. You can just say 'broken bone' or 'fractured bone/bone fracture' or you can refer to the bodypart you've broken: "broken leg, broken jaw, broken arm, broken wrist, broken ankle" and by using fracture: "leg fracture, jaw fracture, arm fracture, wrist fracture, ankle fracture, skull fracture, etc." Technically fracture is a better way to describe the problem because bones seldomly snap right through. Especially when talking about facial fractures. If someone's head is actually broken in two pieces, it's kind hard to fix that. That's why they say "fractured skull" which means that the bone tissue is damaged/teared/partially broken. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_fracture P.s. I have a habit of googling words I'm explaining to check if there's an appropriate picture or website. But in this case: Don't search for images! :P Unless you have a strong stomach of course. ;)
6 marzo 2008
jdavp
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), Italian, Japanese