romulus
Could these be Paradox? do you think below statements are samples of a paradox? ** "God is the unmoved mover." ** "I would kill for a Noble Peace Prize." ** "Think of unthinkable things." thanks...
Hi Romulus, a paradox is a statement that contradicts itself , only number 2 is a paradox. Here are some paradoxes: "War is peace." "Freedom is slavery." "Ignorance is strength." (George Orwell, 1984)
Hi Romulus. Rather hard to say. Certainly, they are have a distinct touch of paradox. At the core, their contradiction is layering thick enouth for a philosopher like me. =) Thus I'd lean to accept them as a paradox. I think a model paradox would be a sentence " I'm a liar ". Assuming that the statement is true, you are bound to accept its falseness and vice versa.
1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking. 2. One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: "The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears" (Mary Shelley). 3. An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises. 4. A statement contrary to received opinion.
romulus
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Filipino (Tagalog), Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin)