Danielle
~는데 vs 하지만 vs 근데?? What's the difference between ~는데, 하지만, and 근데? It seems, everytime I use one, It's actually one of the others. Do you have to use each one during certain situations? ;$ 도와 줘요!!! 고맙습니다`~
In terms of meaning, I would say that they are sort of synonyms of "but", "however" and "whereas". In terms of usage, ~는데 is used by inflecting the corresponding verb through dropping the 다 ending, while 하지만 and 근데 (from 그런데) generally serve as a conjunction between clauses (or phrases). Good day. / 좋은 일일 을.
-는데 appears in the present and past tense. A : 안녕하세요. 저 ㅇㅇ 친구 다니엘인데요, ㅇㅇ 있어요? B : 아, 그래. ㅇㅇ이 지금 자는데 금방 일어날 거야. A : 여기 있네! B : 아까는 없었는데. 그러한데(그러하다 to be like that) > 그런데 > 근데 A : 나 일찍 왔어. B : 근데? (B has no idea what A talks about, implies "Yeah, it's like that(You came here early, but so what? What are you talking about?) A : 오늘 비 온대. They said it rains today. B : 근데 비 올 것 같진 않아. It's like that(Yeah, they said that), but it doesn't seem to rain. 하지만 is a bit formal. A : 나 바쁜 거 안 보여?! Can't you see I'm busy?! B : 하지만 할 일은 해야지! However you have to do what you're supposed to. Do you see the difference?