Sherwyn
What does the verb ending 는걸 mean? Below is the response another person received having asked a similar question. If you removed 는걸 and replaced it with 다 is it not the same sentence? Is it just for emphasis or what? Thanks in advance. Will you eat? I already ate. 먹을래? 나 이미 먹었는걸? Will you see the movie ‘The ghost’? I already saw it. ‘유령’이라는 영화 볼래? 나 이미 봤는걸?
The difference is obvious. 먹을래? - 난 이미 먹었는걸? But I already ate it? (questioning, slightly refutative) - 난 이미 먹었다. I already ate it (constative) ‘유령’이라는 영화 볼래? - 나 이미 봤는걸? But I already saw it? - 나 이미 봤다. I already saw it.
나 이미 먹었다. 먹었어 is better in spoken Korean, ~다 is rather for written one. Anyway they mean the same as 먹었는 걸, just ~ 걸 has when speakers express it's different to what questioners have expected 점심 먹을래? 이미 먹었는 걸 With ~ 는 걸 has the meaning However if you say ~을 걸 the use is when speakers guess something is already happened or expecting what will happen 주영이는 이미 밥 먹었을 걸>>Maybe 주영 already had a meal 이번 월드컵에서는 대한민국이 우승할 걸>> Probably in this worldcup Korea national team will win with ~걸 showing sort of exclemation, wondering for emphasising the action
Sherwyn
English, Korean, Russian
Korean, Russian