kidal_cadel
when we use "on","in","at"?
Yes, that does sound a lot better. Richard is right about that.... into sounds much more appropriate for placing something inside a container, etc. "In" would be best used for location only, not direction/placement. Kidal, to be clear: What Richard is saying is that sometimes English speakers say "in" when they should really be saying "into." Thus my example above. :) Thanks, Richard!
MLT's answer is correct. Here is a good website for English grammar and the prepositions: http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/prepositions.htm Your question should be written this way "When should we use "on", "in" and "at"? (MLT - sometimes I wonder about using 'in' when we say we put something into something, eg. "Did you put the gift in the box?" Please don't get me wrong... I would also say "Did you put the gift in the box?" but 'into' seems more appropriate.
1. ON= on (date), on (location, as in "on top of, over," etc.) We are having a picnic on the 4th of July. He is going to put some steaks on the grill. 2. IN= in (location, with certain phrases), in (location, as in"inside", etc.) I am in front of the building. Did you put the gift in the box? 3. AT= at (location, in general), at (direction, as in "toward," etc.) I'm at the baseball game. She is at school. The teacher points at the board.