tracy
what do you think of us? I'm an overseas student in Australia and this is my first semester here. Through the 2 weeks study I found that i have a serious language barrier to understand teachers and text books. My friends and i all stressed especially when we in a discussion group, usually we dont understand locals,we even dont have a word. and sometimes when we talk to local , usually cos of a word we dont know then we would ask you to repeat or explain that. we feel so embarrassig. what do you think of it? do you think it's stupid, oh it's easy , you dont know?!or.... no offence!! just confused about that. I just talked about it with my friend few minutes ago.
Mar 14, 2008 2:11 PM
4
0
This is what people call immersion. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but you must be confident and do your best to communicate with other people. It's understandable to feel embarrassed, but don't let that discourage you. You have to be persistent, and you will eventually adjust. ^^ Don't stress, enjoy your time there.
As a Chinese in Canada, I went through the very process myself. I remember during the first three months I understood and talked little, and it was not until about 3 or 4 years later that I was able to talk fluently in English. My suggestion to you is, don't be shy, keep on trying. People in countries like the US, Austrilia and Canada, who welcome a great number of immigants and internaitonal students every year, are used to talking to new comers, and if they think you're stupid not to be able to speak English fluently, that's because they never underwent the language-leanring process themselves. Oh, and one more thing, if there's a word or two that you don't understand in a sentence, try guessing the approximate meaning of the sentence and the words before you ask others or look into a dictionary. You can't always know every word in a sentence, most of the time, understanding the approximate meaning is good enough. Best wishes to your studies and language leanring.
It's not stupidity to learn something new. Learning is a continuous process. Who knows there's something that you knew that they don't know. So you can share new learnings to each other and most of all, have a new friend. So don't feel embarrassed if you want them to elaborate things you don't understand. Just be polite to ask them to. You know, it takes a lifetime for you to learn everything. =p
Hehe, I think it's a challenge and challenges are a good thing, right? I'm sure people want to explain things to you as well. Remember that everyone thinks it's interesting to talk with and help foreigners. So don't be ashamed and just go for it. :)
tracy