Angela Ong
How to differenciate between "...만이요", "...뿐이요",and "...이나요". I'm confused on how to use them in a
Mar 14, 2008 4:29 PM
4
0
chopinxenakis's answers are good and i'd like to add some explanations. "...만" has a meaning of "enough only ..." (There is no need to be more than ...) "...뿐" has a meaning of "just only ..." (... is less than you expected) "...이나" has its meaning of "no less than ..." (... is more than you expected) 5분만 이야기합시다. (5 minutes are enough to me to talk with you) 남은 시간은 5분 뿐이다. (We have just less than 5 minutes remaining) 아직 5분이나 남은거야? (Do we still have 5 minutes more?)
I thought about your question, and I found that it is not easy but good quesion. Following is my answer. "만"(only) is used usually with a common verb (~하다). ex) 이것만 합시다. 사과만 먹을께요, 그것만 삽니다, ... But, the actually verb can be hidden when both a speaker and a listener know the actual action. ex) 이것만 (해)요 -> 이것만요 이것만 (주세)요 -> 이것만요 사과만 (먹어)요 -> 사과만요 So, usually "~만이요" is used as a answer for a question ex) waiter: 뭘 드릴까요? you: 이것만요 ( <- 이것만 (주세)요) (both the waiter and you know the action is 주다) man: 밥먹고 영화볼요? you: 영화만요 ( <- 영화만 (봐)요) (both the waiter and you know the action is 보다) "뿐"(only) is always used before "이다"(is). ex) 이것 뿐입니다. (o) 이것 뿐합니다 (x) 이것 만합니다 (o)
The meaning of "~이나요" is different from the other two. It is "~이"(is)+"나요"(questioning ending). ex) 사람이나요? (Is a human?) 몇이나요? (how many are?) 겨울이나요? (Is winter?)
만이요 is not generally used often in good korean expression,so u dont need to worry about it,,,just remember the meaning of 만 is "only",,,ok 뿐이요 is also not a good korean expression,,,뿐 also means "only",,,,ok,,,,,u should remember that korean is a language not only of words ,but it is like a beautiful poem ,,,the sounds must be in a proper beautiful sense,,,so we cannot use any words in any way ,,using of words properly comes only after some time,,,ok 이나요 is often used,,it is important,,,ok good luck,,,please wish good luck for my chinese !!!
Angela Ong
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese, Korean, Malay
Japanese, Korean