Nariman
I have read that there is more than 2000 Kanji characters, is it difficult to handle them all in one yea
Mar 18, 2008 10:09 AM
4
0
It won't be easy, but you could try. Japanese elementary children learn 80 kanjis in the first year, 160 in the 2nd year, 200 each in the 3rd and 4th, 185 in the 5th year, and 181 in the 6th year. There are additional 939 common kanjis that children will eventually learn in the higher grades. I recommend to start with the first 80 kanjis.
there are around 50,000 漢字(kanji) in the 大漢和辞典 with something like 530,000 compound words, so there are a lot to learn, haha. fortunately you really only need to learn 常用漢字 (jyouyoukanji) that consists of 1945 漢字 that Japanese are required to learn by the completion of high school. To understand learning all 1945 (soon to be 1956) 漢字 in one year is a massive undertaking and i believe by the time the year is up you will not have a firm knowledge of those kanji. not only are there many characters but they have different pronunciations, making it difficult to remember. i also feel it is useless to learn 漢字 without learning compounds that use them at the same time. i don't know how much time you want to allot to studying kanji each day but i suggest you follow the order taught in schools or follow the list in the JLPT going up the levels as you progress. assign around 5 compounds for each kanji to learn, making sure they are useful compounds (many kanji dictionaries list these with each character) and learn however many kanji you can per day. when i started i was doing 10 kanji, so around 40-50 words each day. now that i have a couple thousand words to review with the kanji (so i don't forget them) i have cut back to 5 kanji a day with around 20-25 words. i review about 100 words each day from my previously learnt list at random (using computer software called ProVoc) It asks me the english meaning, i write the work down in Japanese in my book, so as to learn how to write it and then check it with the computer. trust me you will need to review older works/kanji because you will forget how to read and write them if you are not able to read and write those words often in your daily life.
It is not difficult. "Remembering the Kanji" by J Heisig. You'll master them all well within a year! If you need the book I have a PDF I can email you.
1 year is not enough depends on your ability or your memory but first its easy to learn them by learning songs first writing them into roman alphabet and if you have time to go to karaoke its better:) until you let those copy in your hand and focus on the monitor then ull know it.hope this not too hard for u:)
Nariman
Arabic, English, Japanese, Korean
Japanese, Korean