Luciano
Is it correct to use the expression "I ain't ..."? Is this expression often used?
20 de Mar de 2008 às 15:18
5
0
Well it seems you have all the correct responses...so...nothing more to add ...except...people that use that expression are usually using it in a joke, figuratively,...or showing lack of education.
27 de Março de 2008
"I ain't" is used mostly in the US (and in 'cockney' (London) slang) in a colloquial context to replace the words " I am not..." " You are not..." etc (all forms of 'to be' in present tense) but is not really correct.
27 de Março de 2008
Forget "ain't" and (almost) all other slang. (Also don't learn obscenities.) They're just some of the things that non-native speakers don't need.
20 de Março de 2008
Yes it is used sometimes in speech. But you are better off using the phrase " I am not" instead. And like Averill stated, it is never used when you write.
20 de Março de 2008
Of course it is. But you shouldn't practice saying it, because it isn't proper. You should always practice "proper" speaking methods. Oh! And don't ever use "ain't" in writing. Not good. Well, unless you're asking a question like this one.
20 de Março de 2008
Luciano
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
English, French, Spanish