Jelena
Past Continuous vs. Past Perfect Continuous Which of these tenses I should use in this sentence? Last time we spoke I mentioned that book I was reading. Last time we spoke I mentioned that book I’d been reading. I want to say that at the time I spoke to that person I was in the middle of reading - start reading before that point and finished some time after. Thanks!
9
0
I think the first answer is correct, because we use the past continuous to talk about an activity that was in progress at a certain moment in the past, here - when we spoke. And we use the past perfect continuous when we talk about the past and then talk about an activity that was in progress in the earlier past. For example: He said he had been watching TV at the time of the crime.
i think the second one is more appropriate but u should use "when" in this case. no!!
2nd answer is correct 100% because you are talking in present but talking about pasts and there were 2 pasts, or you can say which work is done first so first one is READING BOOK 2nd one is YOU MENTIONED THAT BOOK now we will see which one is old past between 2 pasts or which work is done first, obviously READING BOOK because you were reading book first then you mentioned about that book you didn't mention reading book first so we use HAD+3rd form of verb for OLDEST PAST. for example WHEN I REACHED STATION THE TRAIN HAD GONE , we are using TRAIN HAD GONE because first work is done that is train went then you reached station that's why we use HAD+3RD FORM for oldest past.
Last time we spoke I mentioned that book I was reading...is the correct one. Reason: I was in the middle of reading = past continuous In some cases you can use the past perfect continuous, but that changes the mood and the setting. Without context I cannot advise further.
Jelena
Bosnian, Croatian, English, Italian, Serbian
English, Italian