Community Web Version Now Available
Again, What do you name a word that sb says repeatedly and spontaneously in his speech ??? You could find some people saying ( actually ) many times in their speech. Others may say (really) , or ( I swear by God ), or ( hell ) in an exaggerated way like : He is hell talkative. That really hell annoys me . Hell yes . Hell no !!! What do you name such words in English ??? In Arabic we call `em ( Lazmah ). For example ; Adam has got ( Lazmah ) of swearing by God !!!
Jan 18, 2011 1:03 PM
Answers · 4
You mean when someone uses words in the middle of their comment without apparent neccesity or reason? Such as : you know this, you know that... you know, you know, you know, you know... and YOU KNOW... or like, like, like, like, like, like ... and the classic "you know what I mean" , or "sort of", etc. Yes, I think "verbal tic" is the term you are looking for . ^^
January 18, 2011
I don't know the technical name for this kind of word (I am sure there is one) but I would call this a 'verbal tic'.
January 18, 2011
mannerism |ˈmanəˌrizəm| noun 1 a habitual gesture or way of speaking or behaving; an idiosyncrasy : learning the great man's speeches and studying his mannerisms. • Psychiatry an ordinary gesture or expression that becomes abnormal through exaggeration or repetition.
January 25, 2011
Verbal tics involve words or noises. Simple verbal tics can be whistles, hums, or throat clearing. Complex vocal tics can be repeating words or phrases . I think that "complex verbal tics" is the expression you are seeking.
January 19, 2011
Language Skills
Arabic, English, Italian
Learning Language
English, Italian