peng
I know every words in this dialog, but I cant understand clearly. Henry: I’m meeting Graham for lunch today. Diane: Graham? Graham Cottam? Who used to live next door but one? Henry: Right. I’d not seen him for donkey’s years then I bumped into him quite by chance. We arranged to meet for lunch to catch up on things. Diane: Have a nice time! Oh and remember me to him, won’t you? Henry: Will do! 1."I’m meeting Graham for lunch today.", is the meaning of this sentence "I meet Graham, and he is having lunch." or "I promise Graham to have lunch with him today."? What is "meet for lunch"? 2."Who used to live next door but one?", what does "but one" mean? 3."donkey’s years", what's that? 4."I bumped into him", What does it mean? 5."catch up on things", does it mean do something in a hurry?
9
0
1."I’m meeting Graham for lunch today." = I have plans to meet Graham today. We plan to meet because we want to have lunch together. 2."Who used to live next door but one?" = He did not live in the house next to mine. He lived in the house next to that one. i.e. I lived at Number 1 and he lived at Number 3. 3."donkey’s years" = a long time, too many years to count. 4."I bumped into him" = I saw him by chance. 5."catch up on things" = tell each other our news; what has been happening since we last saw each other.
1. I'm meeting Graham today = I will meet Graham today. to meet for lunch = to meet someone and eat lunch with them. ( 今天我和Graham見面,一起吃午餐?) 2."Who used to live next door but one?", what does "but one" mean? I have no idea! I don't understand this. Is it from a chinese-made textbook? 3."donkey’s years", what's that? Never heard it in my life. Very odd........... 沒聽過。很奇怪 4."I bumped into him", What does it mean? 碰到他 5."catch up on things", does it mean do something in a hurry? catch up on = catch up with = to update your knowledge so you know the recent news about a certain subject. “I can't wait to see everyone and catch up on all of the news.” “ 我等不及想看看每个人,及时得知所有的消息。 ” -nciku.com
peng