Liza
About pronuniation. I noticed that when situating in the end of the word, and befor some words which begins with a vowel sound, letter "S" sounds as "ʃ", like in the sentence: "How ridiculouS you're being." Am I right or it just seems to me? Thx)
9
2
I had this feeling too. On the one hand, I compared the English sound "s" with my own "s". On the other hand, I think 's' is pronounced very short and fast when it is at the end of a word. PS: I also thought that 't' sounds like 'tʃ' when 't' is at the end of a word. By the way, how do you tap 'ʃ' down? What a surprise! I just copied yours and pasted it. :-)
Lisa, You have a good ear. If the word (or syllable) beginning with 'y' is not stressed then a liason is made between the two words. If the word beginning with 'y' is stressed then the 's' and 'y' sounds would remain distinct. These letters and sounds connect not only with Y, but they do so as well with the initial *unwritten [y]...that is a sound that is pronounced like 'Y'. Example YES you are = Yeshu are Yes YOU are = Yes yu are Other liasons with unstressed y. T or D + Y Don't you like it? [dont chew lye kit] Wouldn't you? [wooden chew] Would you? [wood chew] *Actually [æk·chully] D + Y = J Did you find your keys? [didjə fine jer keez] We followed your instructions. [we fallow jerin strəctionz] *gradual [græjə(w)əl] The liason here is with 'u' Z + Y = ZH Who's your friend? [hoozhier frend] Words are also connected when a word ends in a consonant sound and the next word starts with a consonant that is in a similar position. hard times [hardtimes] with luck [withluck] Liasons are made by native speakers all the time even if they are not aware of it. There are rules for these liasons, although the whole subject is rather complex. An accent is made of three things. How you pronounce an individual letter. How you make liasons between letters How you make intonation of words in sentences.
Nope, it's not standard English or even good pronunciation. You can kind-of fuse "ridiculous+you're" together for fluency, but the "sy-" sound is nothing like the "ʃ" sound. Some languages will naturally make a written "si-/sy-" into a "shi-" sound, but English isn't one of them.
to me it sounds like s =)
Liza