judy
over a cup of tea? i have a problem. would you spare some time to have a chat with me____a cup of tea? A.for Bwith C.during D.over the key is "over",why ?i don't understand it. i just know they spend some time in chatting by tea? right? why not to choose "with"? plz explain it in detail
6
0
over That is the way we say it in English. Learn it!
Imagine the people sitting at a table, talking pleasantly. The conversation is travelling from one person to the other, literally over their cups of tea. The use of "over" indicates some kind of transit. "With a cup of tea" sounds as if the tea is something on the side, not in front of the chatty people, and not really participating in the whole image. Same is if you said "by a cup of tea".
It is just depicting the scene. The two persons bending over their cup of tea. It makes this sense to me, which seems to be logical. Related expression: I will go over that little book in the evening. Meaning: 1. the book will be /below/ my attention, (not correct in this way) that is: 2. the book will be the object of my attention,
Hey Judy, lots of english doesn't make sense from a logic point of view. This is one of those times. "chat with me over a cup of tea" is a very british english thing to say :) sharing a cup of tea (not the same cup) is a very social thing to do. Andrew.
judy