Facundo
Why use 'in' for cars and 'on' for anothers transport?
4
0
In the case of the prepositions in and on, here are the most usual uses. In in mainly denotes “rest at”: PLACE: He lives in the country. He lives in Chicago. (BUT, He lives at 2300 Wabash Ave.) TIME: I’ll be there in an hour. MANNER: The child ran down the steps in tears. REFERENCE: In my opinion we need a referendum. They are happy in their marriage. On on indicates proximity and position above or outside: PLACE: He sat on the fence. TIME: He was not thinking well on that occasion. REFERENCE: He asked my opinion on the matter. CONDITION: We’ll hire him on your recommendation.
things/vehicles that you physically get onto are always on. Examples: motorcycle, pushbike(bicycle), horse. These we always get "on" because we cant get "inside" them. Other things like trains, buses and public transport are either in or on, but more commonly on. Examples: Riding on the subway, travelling on the bus. Private transport, such as cars, are always in. Examples: Lets go for a ride in the car. Lets go for a drive in the car. Can you take me to the shop in the car please? A.
You can also say "in a train". On the train = currently riding the train. In the train = where are you physically.
Because that is the way we do it.Nobody knows why. So just learn it.
Facundo