Olga_L
someone like you/ someone like yourself "I usually tell clients like yourself that your first priority should be getting out of debt." WOuld it make any stylistic difference if I say "clients like you" ?
10
0
Biiiiiig difference. :) "Clients like you... should be getting out of debt" sounds like an accusation. It's very direct. You're pointing a finger at me. Formal/business English is very tactful, and far less direct. "Clients like yourself... should be getting out of debt" sounds more respectful an polite, as if you thought about their situation. You're offering me tea, and cake. It's slightly more roundabout, and less blunt.
Olga_L Yeah, it would. We use the form yourself in speaking to one person and the form yourselves in speaking to more than one. I usually tell clients like yourself that your first priority should be getting out of debt.....yourself refers to one person. I usually tell clients like yourselves that your first priority should be getting out of debt....yourselves refers to more than one person. I usually tell clients like you that your first priority should be getting out of debt.....it is unclear if the author is referring to one person or multiple persons. If you rewrote the sentence with "client" in the singular: I usually tell a client like you that your first priority should be getting out of debt... .....there would be no compelling reason to use "yourself", but you still could if you wanted to emphasize the fact that you are talking about one person in particular. I usually tell a client like yourself that your first priority should be getting out of debt.
"Clients like you" is extremely rude! "A person like you", when addressed directly to someone, is usually quite insulting (though not always). It is best avoided in business talk.
like you like myself
Тогда только " Clients like you". Я полагаю у Peachey исчерпывающий ответ.
Olga_L