SEN
I have a fewer questions in the following poem? pleasehelp me out  He it is, the innermost one, who awakens my being with his deep hidden touches. He it is who puts his enchantment upon these eyes and joyfully plays on the chords of my heart in varied cadence of pleasure and pain. He it is who weaves the web of this maya in evanescent hues of gold and silver, blue and green, and lets peep out through the folds his feet, at whose touch I forget myself. Days come and ages pass, and it is ever he who moves my heart in many a name, in many a guise, in many a rapture of joy and of sorrow. questions 1)"lets peep out through the folds his feet" what it means? 2) can any one explain the las stanza THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENT SEN
4
0
no know the firs question but the last stanza Days come and ages pass, and it is ever he who moves my heart in many a name, in many a guise, in many a rapture of joy and of sorrow. means that no matter how many years go by the writer is still in love with the man, even if he looks different (guise is comes from the word disguise:to change ones image) and no matter what emotion the writer may feel at the time it could happiness or sadness but the love will still be there.
SEN, It is a very beautiful and interesting poem. I am not an expert in Eastern philosopy but I think I understand what the poet is trying to say. Here is my interpretation. The innermost one is the Supreme Consciousness, the One. The One is reality. It is he who creates the world of maya, the world of illusion, of names and forms, of me and you and they.The ego or self* separate from the One is another form of this illusion. When the innermost one "lets peep out through the folds (of maya) his feet" he lets the truth of oneness be seen and experienced in a small way. Just the touch of his feet "at whose touch I forget *myself" removes the illusion of self and the poet feels the reality of the innermost One. Days come and ages pass, .........time is another illusion--one day is no different than an age. and it is ever he who moves my heart in many a name, ......it is always the innermost one, no matter what name you give him (God, the Universe, Allah, Supreme Consciousness, etc) touches the poet's real being (heart). in many a guise...... the innermost one takes many forms....people, animals, objects, etc. in many a rapture of joy and of sorrow.....the innermost makes himself known through many mystical experiences, sometimes taking the form of joy and sometimes sorrow.
This is one of Tagore's most famous poems "Innermost One". For an analysis of it just google this: annotated poems of rabindranath tagore and look for this link: English Writings of Rabindranath Tagore: Pomes - Google Books Resultby various - 2004 For the first time The English Writing of Rabindranath Tagore are presented with detailed annotations and information about the historical context to which ... books.google.com/books?isbn=8126012951… You might also get some leads from these websites: http://www.iias.nl/iiasn/iiasn5/soutasia… http://www.jstor.org/pss/617781 (purchase online)
SEN
English, French, Hindi, Russian, Tamil
English, French, Hindi, Russian