Francisco
Cases when the pronoun is not written. Does exist in English any case when the pronoun before the verb is not written (besides the Imperative tense) ?
5
0
No, there isn't. There is a style, called "ellipsis", where the subject pronoun and auxiliary verb are left out. This only happens in speech, never in literature. For details, check out the rules of "ellipsis".
This can certainly happen as an omission in spoken English, when the omitted subject is understood. Some of these may be common expressions. Imagine someone in a hurry, talking on their phone... "[I] Will do [it]." "[I] Can't say." Further omissions: "[I am] Heading out the door. [I will] Talk to you later."
In colloquial speech, sometimes it is left out when the pronoun is "you" (usually, the helping verb is also left out): "(Do you ) Want to go to the movies?" "(Are you) Going somewhere?" Also, sometimes it's left out in a response to a question when the context is obvious. "What's he doing?" "(He is) Going to the movies." However in writing and less informal speech, the pronoun should always be there unless it is, as you said, imperative. Hope that helps! :)
Francisco
English, Greek, Italian, Spanish
English, Greek, Italian