Othman
Is it normal in western culture? I'd like to ask western people if it's normal to kiss a child ( male or female ) to show mercy and emotion. Because this is normal in Arab world. I've heard that if a man kisses a child, particularly a boy, he will be considered as homosexual.
7
0
It is no longer acceptable to kiss a child other than your own. Westerners have become paranoid now about child abuse. Even looking at a child can get nasty responses from passers-by. The paranoia is relatively new. About twenty years ago nobody thought anything if you greeted a child or patted him on the head. But these days westerners are very jumpy.
I usually hug and kiss my best friends children without any problem, but they are really close friends, like family. Usually it's considered normal doing this with babies (0-2 years), but people may look you badly if you do the same with grown ups. Regarding children that are not very close to you or your family, the general advice it's to keep some distance. The reason is this collective paranoia as Eliot correctly explained. I also think that in big cities this is more marked than in small towns where everyone knows each other.
Family members only kiss children who belong to their family. As Eliot said, it is not acceptable for other people to do so. As a teacher, I am not allowed any physical contact with my students for example to pat them on the shoulder and praise them for working well.
I would say no, unless you're his uncle though.
Othman
Arabic, English