Dimitriy
to let someone down easy Yep, I keep reading "Twilight", and yes, it is disgusting, but on the other hand, no text that provides new knowledge should be called uttetrly worthless. In the text a guy invites Bella to a spring dance, and she says she won't be in town, and the guy tells her he heard of that from the other guy, but he was hoping she was just "letting him down easy". So, he says: "I was hoping you were just letting him down easy." What's the meaning of this? Is it like he hoped she just didn't want to hurt his feelings or something?
4
0
Yeah, I think you have it. She could let him down in two ways: 1. No bloody way = letting him down hard. 2. Sorry I won't be in town = letting him down easy.
You guessed correctly: it means he hoped she just didn't want to hurt his feelings.
Oh! I thought I could markup both answers being "best". Which they are! Thanks again!
Wow! Thanks, guys! So pleasant to not be wrong! :)
Dimitriy
English, German, Russian