Alexandre
If / Whether What are the suitable situations to use them? Could you give me some examples, please? Thank you.
9
1
"If" is used for a possibility. "Whether" is used for choosing between two or more possibilities.
"Whether" is used to express a doubt or choice between two possibilities: I'll see whether she is at home (or not at home). "If" is used to introduce one of two OR MORE possibilities. "If" used to say that one thing can, will or might happen or be true, depending on another thing happening or being true. If necessary I can come at once. Both words can be used very often when the possible answers are "yes" or "no". He asked if/whether I knew Bill. The policeman asked if/whether I had seen the accident.
Whether and If (Interchangeable) Whether and if can be used interchangeably in the following circumstances: When reporting yes/no questions. I am unsure whether I will be attending the party. I am unsure if I will be attending the party. (In this example, the yes/no question is "Am I attending the party?") Janice wondered whether she had unplugged the iron. Janice wondered if she had unplugged the iron. (In this example, the yes/no question is "Did Janine unplug the iron?")
They are interchangeable.
"What matters whether or no I made my way in life" (W.Thackeray "Henry Esmond", part I, ch. IX) Whether you read about it? I do not know whether to be sorry or glad?!?
Alexandre
English, Portuguese, Russian