Minh Huynh
I am confusing about how to you on, in, at about describing place. How can I use on, in, at correct?
6 февр. 2011 г., 6:46
4
0
I am CONFUSED (adjective) about how to USE ..... How can I use on, in, AND at CORRECTLY (adverb) PREPOSITIONS OF PLACE / LOCATION: at, in, on In general, we use: "at" for a Point, "in" for an Enclosed Space, "on" for a Surface at = Point ............... in = Enclosed Space ....on = Surface at the corner ............ in the garden ............. on the wall at the bus stop ........ in London .................. on the ceiling at the door ................in France .................. on the door at the top of the page .in a box .................... on the cover at the end of the road .in my pocket ............. on the floor at the entrance ......... in my wallet ............... on the carpet at home.................... in a building ............... on the menu ............................... in a car ...................... on a page Look at these examples: Jane is waiting for you at the bus stop. The shop is at the end of the street. My plane stopped at Dubai and Hanoi and arrived in Bangkok two hours late. When will you arrive at the office? Do you work in an office? I have a meeting in New York. Do you live in Japan? Jupiter is in the Solar System. The author's name is on the cover of the book. There are no prices on this menu. You are standing on my foot. There was a "no smoking" sign on the wall. I live on the 7th floor at 21 Oxford Street in London. Common expressions of Place / Location at in on at home... in a car... on a bus at work.... in a taxi... on a train at school... in a helicopter... on a plane at university... in a boat... on a ship at college... in a lift (elevator)... .on a bicycle, on a motorbike at the top... in the newspaper... on a horse, on an elephant at the bottom... in the sky....... on the radio, on television at the side...... in a row.......... on the left, on the right at reception.... in Oxford Street.... on the way
6 февраля 2011 г.
There's no perfect answer because these words are so commonly used - so their meanings become more general. You will really have to learn these as you go. If this helps, this is how I *start* to think of them, in regards to location: ON: physically on top of. On a mountain, on the road, on a horse. IN: physically inside an area or zone. In a room, in Paris, in a car. AT: a place which you have gone to meet. At the mall, at the cafe. There are plenty of exceptions, eg. on a bus/train/plane (some rule about size and who is driving the vehicle); in the street (street is a 'zone' here). If you say "in the office" I understand that you are inside the office. If you say "at the office", I understand you have gone there, and are there now. They don't translate easily to other languages, so be wary of literal translations.
6 февраля 2011 г.
You have to learn them one be one.
6 февраля 2011 г.
Examples for "in:" My driving licence expires in 2015. My exams start in March. I sat in the lovely garden for on: He is coming on Thursday. My exam starts on Friday. I sat on the edge of the river.
6 февраля 2011 г.
Minh Huynh
English, Vietnamese