kelvinho8
by what rules we choose to use a noun or an adjective in a sentence? we could write a sentence to express the similar like the following: I was disappointed about what he did to Mary. I had a disappointment of what he did to Mary. I realize that it depends on what part of speech we want to emphasize but other than that, do we have any other rules that we could follow?
3
0
I had a disappointment of what he did to Mary. --- is not correct English. Most of the time we don't have this choice, anyway. Simple because the so-called "other choice" is incorrect.
Hi, You're asking a grammar question when this has much more to do with formal/business English. The main difference is the "directness" of the sentence. The more formal the English, the less direct/personal the writing becomes. "I was disappointed" - passive voice: you received the action. This is personal. "I felt disappointment" - not so personal. The "thing which disappoints" is still an object outside of you. You felt it, but soon you will stop feeling it. You could be talking about the same situation; the difference is how much you want to show how it affected you. Personal issues don't fly well in formal and business situations.
"I had a disappointment of what he did to Mary" is not correct English. You could say, "I felt disappointment about what he did to Mary" (or anger, or frustration, or resentment, etc.). When using the adjective form of a feeling, it should follow the verb like in your (correct) sentence, "I was disappointed about what he did to Mary."
kelvinho8
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English