okeyo
do you think that I improve my English by reading the Bible?
9
0
If you believe in Christ,I suggest you read bible in english.Otherwise,you should read novels and newspapers,it is interesting than the Bible. On the other hand,bible was wrote by slightly archaic english.It will make you confused,just like english beginner read Shakespeare's works.
I doubt reading any bible will assist you very much, quite apart from the fact that it will bore you. To see current use of English I recommend reading opinion stories from the web sites of reputable newspapers. Generally they have interesting and skilful writers, and the stories edited to reduce mistakes. From Australia you can read the Sydney Morning Herald (http://www.smh.com.au/) or the West Australian (http://thewest.com.au). Scroll past todays news, and read the opinion stories. Other countries such as USA have the New York Times or England has a The Times or the BBC web site.
If you already know the bible in your own language, then absolutely yes. But you are from China so you weren't brought up in a church. Anyhow, if you are realy into the bible, the you will learn excellent English if you read it.
One thing to be aware of when reading Bible is that most of modernized versions are all corrupted by Jesuits Priests but NKJV. I think only KJV and NKJV are legit to read.
Just remember that there are many English transations of the Bible. Some are in modern English and some are not. For example, nobody speaks like is written in the King James translation. However; there are transations such as the "Today's English Version" or the "New International Version" that use plain, modern English, but even there, it is the formal version of the language, and keeps the literal euphemisms of the original language. (As an example: "The manner of women" is a euphemism in the original Hebrew language of the Old Testament, but nobody uses that in English anymore. Today, it is referred to literally as a woman's menstrual cycle. There are other figures of speech that are much the same.) I have studied another language with the Bible as a reading source and it did work for me in that capacity, but again, it had to be a modern version of the language. If you like the stories, poetry, and letters in the Bible, then certainly that interest can help keep you focused as you read.
okeyo