Amanda
whats the difference between "depressed”and"upset"?
3
1
Depressed is when someone is not angry or frustrated; it's more like when someone has stopped hoping something will happen and is just sad. "He was depressed because he couldn't find a job, so he just sat on his couch and stared at the TV every day." "I was depressed because my girlfriend left me, so I just lay in bed all day." Upset is much more emotive. It's a bit like depressed, but with anger thrown in. "He was so upset because he couldn't find a job that he threw a chair across the room." "I was upset because my girlfriend left me, so I kicked the wall and put a huge hole in it." Hope this helps. :)
Have a look at the words' backgrounds: "Depressed" - literally, "pushed-down". "Upset" - originally related to capsizing a boat or other vehicle. Think of the comfortable "set" position being thrown upwards. So you can imagine how these apply to our feelings. :)
Upset (verb) - to make someone worried, unhappy or angry. Depressed (adjective) - unhappy and without hope for the future. Whether someone often upset you, you can get depressed.
Amanda
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Italian, Japanese
English, Italian