庚 泽
What if I use "ever" in a negative statement ? She doesn't want to see him. After using" ever" , She doesn't even want to see him. (If there's a slight difference or big difference ? What's the exact meaning of it ? ) Thanks a lot . sorry, correction : She doesn't ever want to see him.
5
0
Manner of fact more often than not the word "ever" will appear in a negative/questioning statement. You didn't mean "even" but "ever" right? Guess a typo. Right that means "she never wants to see him". Much more horrible than "she doesn't want to see him". I will never see you again, ever! I don't want to see you! Ever again! I don't want to see you again! Not ever! It also could express a "normal" emotion, which doesn't sound as terrible as the above ones, just a negative statement: Have you ever done that? I haven't ever done that before. = I have never done that. In a positive statement, you will use "once" instead: I once did it. You're not gonna say: I ever did it. If an "ever" appears in a positive statement, that'll mean "all the time; in history": He's the best man I ever know. (You're auto. having a comparison - among all the men you know. )
“Ever” is used after words like "where, who, how, and why" to make a question more forceful: How ever can I (possibly) thank you? What ever happened to my old robot? Where ever did I put my pens? “I can't do that.” “Why ever not?” Who ever would want to go there? — also used in indirect questions I can't imagine who ever would want to go there! At last, I may add one interesting thing: Thank you very much = (informal) Thank you ever so much. "Ever" in a negative statement. He never ever wanted to grow up. I promise to never ever read it again.
庚 泽