Lily
When can I use the defining relative clasue 'that' instead of 'who'? Check the example please. Thanks:) James Watt was a scientist who invented a steam engine. James Watt was a scientist that invented a steam engine. Are they both correct or should I only use 'who' with people. Thanks :)
13 févr. 2011 10:32
12
1
You can use either that or who, but who is used in formal English.
13 février 2011
What I'm saying is that, for example, if you question is "James Watt was THE BEST scientist who invented a steam engine" <<< No, this is unforgiveable because you have to use "that" here.
13 février 2011
Hi Hamsa, I don't know how it goes over there in Egypt - I mean what your teachers told you about the grammar, my suggestion here, is to not really follow what people have told you here. That's really complicated and a gross subject here in China. Relative pronouns for the clauses.
13 février 2011
Well yes. But the "that or who" traps are disgusting - we had an equator-long list about their specific usages, strange, and unintelligible; that even most natives never know; in some cases you must use "that", otherwise must "who", or "which" , numbers, categories, to some pronouns, blah blah blah. That was horrible.
13 février 2011
13 février 2011
Lily
Arabic, English, French