Fabien
Why do we require certain personal identities? Whom or where or what do you think you belong to? Illustration______Does nationality define who we are? Does certain language one speaks make who he is? Do you feel comfortable within your own countrymen and women?
10
0
hmm, i would not call that defined, but i would say effected by the culture, and by others close to you,
Does nationality define who we are? Yes if you live in a country where people are of the same nationality. Since Australia is multicultural , many people will describe themselves as Italian- Australian, Greek-Australian etc Does a certain language one speaks make who he is? Yes, if there is only one language spoken in country. Do you feel comfortable within your own countrymen and women? Yes because I am bilingual. I can communicate easily in Lithuanian and English. I grew up speaking both languages. Also if I meet any French or German people I can make myself understood as well. This helps me as a teacher because I can immediately see what difficulties ESL students face in my classes.
I think we should study very deeply how monkeys behave; once this is more or less done, we can take a further step and look at ourselves with the best skill we could have.
A commonly agreed statement is: What we do defines who we are. That's kinda what you just referred to. Anyway the point is we gotta be already defined like what is called a prepsition. What you eat defines who you are. How many breaths you have per day defines who you are. Your wife's height * weight * 3.14 defines who you are... etc... You know how much it amuses me, when I see a globe is colored and marked with "at-least-4" colors, and kinds of strange symbols? I still don't know who said this, but gotta be a wiseman in some people's eyes or an extremely stupid man in some others': I know I am, but I don't know what I am. A friend told me in Bible it got this: We're finally saved by faith that doesn't work. Feeling comfortable or not within your fellow people depends on a lot of complicated factors, language barriers, working environment... You love Chinese? You hate Japanese (just assuming)? If you live in China and unluckily died in a bank robbery, guess what nationality the man who shot you probably had?
In reply to your actual question: No, it doesn't. If your mind is week, then you will be defined by external sources. It is however possible to redefine yourself any way you like. Granted, it's easier said than done.
Fabien
French