Ph0en1x
Pronunciation of plural words in Dutch Consider this simple example: "Zie slapen". Is correct pronunciation of slapen with a "puh" or "pen" sound at the end? I thought it was pronounced like "slapuh", but I have heard "slapen" in other examples.Make that "Zij slapen"
4
0
If you like to learn ABN you should go for "pen".
My boyfriend also felt like sounding the "puh" was lazy and incorrect. It's funny, because that's the way Rosetta Stone taught me to say it! It's a frustrating truth, but we all have to start from somewhere. At least knowing the proper spelling will guarantee some success with communication.
'Slapen' is the correct pronunciation, 'slapuh' is dialect (or "Tussentaal").
I was once severely admonished by my then-girlfriend - who was of course Dutch - for dropping the "n". You could say it's a colloquial habit, but apparently it also sounds lazy and sloppy (according to her). I now feel pretty much the same when I meet learners who think sloppy English is adequate.
Ph0en1x
Dutch, English
Dutch